So I wrote a post (here) back in November on how to configure the Power BI personal gateway to run as a service account. This was after finding the documentation and installation instructions a bare and confusing.
I was going over some troubleshooting notes yesterday and noticed the below on the installation:
Personal Gateway fails to install as a service even though you are a local administrator for the computer – Installation can fail if the user is in the computer’s local Administrator group, but group policy does not allow that username to log on as a service. At the moment, ensure the group policy allows a user to log on as a service. We’re working on a fix for this issue. Learn more
This is what i experienced when initially running the installation which brought me to create the previous workaround. The reason I was getting the error was that I hadn’t added the Windows account I was signed in with to run the install to the logon as a Service rights (even though it was an admin).
Anyway, I went through the setup again yesterday and reinstalled the Personal Gateway applying this fix which worked so have re-documented the steps :).
Power BI Personal Gateway is supported only on 64-bit Windows operating systems. It is recommended you install the Gateway on Windows 2012 R2 x64.
When you install the Gateway, the type of the permissions of the Windows account will affect how the install is configured. To ensure the install runs as a Service you’ll need to be logged into the server with an Admin account.
Add the Log on as a service right to an account
To add the “Log on as a service” right to an account on your local computer
1. Open Local Security Policy.
2. In the console tree, double-click Local Policies, and then click User Rights Assignments.
3. In the details pane, double-click Log on as a service.
4. Click Add User or Group, and then add the appropriate account to the list of accounts that possess the Log on as a service right.
Setting up a Gateway for the first time
1. Downloadthe Power BI Personal Gateway to the Server.
2. Run the PowerBIGatewayInstaller as Administrator.
3. Click Next to Start the Install.
4. Accept the terms in the License Agreement and click Next.
5. Confirm the install directory is going to C:Program FilesPower BI Personal Gateway.
IMPORTANT: If the Power BI Personal Gateway is not going to this directory but to the local user then you have not configured the account to run a service.
6. The Gateway will install and when complete click Launch to configure it.
7. Click next and sign into Power BI with the Service Admin credentials.
8. Provide the logon details of that will be used for the service account.
9. Finish the setup and confirm the Data Management Gateway Service is running.
Notice the Service name is still called the old Data Management Gateway (a bit slack but will let them off :))